Positive Mental Imagery
 
 

Archived Newsletters - WHAT DOES YOUR BODY LANGUAGE SAY ABOUT YOUR GOLF GAME? :

<-- BACK

Newsletter April 2014


The way you position your body and the way you use your body before and after golf shots affects your performance. The way you physically show yourself to the outside world is called non verbal language. Your brain understands your body language and will produce results from the meaning of that information.

It is important to understand this physical language because 55% of the way we communicate is through body language. The other 45% is made up of 38% by your tone of voice, and only 7% through the use of words. Most people are aware that if you are talking to someone who has their arms folded across their chest, they are resisting what you are saying.

This non verbal 55% communication in golf encompasses your posture, facial expressions, eye movement, and the speed and form of your movements. Body language is created by the thoughts you are having, just like your emotions. Non verbal gestures and body positions indicate your state of mind.

Give positive congruent messages to your body

If you are getting ready to putt and notice that someone is standing in your line, do you tell yourself it won't bother you, and don't ask them to move? Your focus is now on the annoying situation instead on focusing on your putt. The end result is that your body has reacted to the second thought of annoyance rather than to the original thought that it wouldn't bother you. The result is usually a miss directed putt.

Putting requires a relaxed state of mind and body. You cannot be physically relaxed and mentally tense, or mentally relaxed and physically tense at the same time. When you are playing at your best, your mind is relaxed, alert and focused, sending positive messages to your body.

Your body language reveals much of the way you are feeling. When you have lost your confidence and are not achieving successful results on the golf course, be aware of the following body language. 

  • Out of balance when swinging your club
  • Shaking your head from side to side
  • Jittery hands resulting from anxious thoughts
  • Nervousness causing an increased heart rate
  • Tension in your neck and shoulders after missing a shot
  • Showing disgust by slumping your shoulders
  • Banging a club into the ground
  • Holding too tightly on to the club
  • Looking down and using negative self talk
  • Standing with hands on hips showing lack of control, annoyance

When you are confident and achieving successful results on the golf course you will be doing the following:

  • Deep relaxed breathing for mental focus
  • Good posture by holding your head up and shoulders back
  • Sitting erect in the golf cart instead of slumping
  • Walking with an even jaunty step, arms swinging leisurely in pace with your legs
  • Smiling with facial expressions of relaxed enjoyment
  • Eyes looking ahead at eye level instead of down at the ground
  • Good grip tension; soft hands for chipping and putting
  • Standing relaxed with arms at your sides while waiting

What are the messages you are sending to your brain; weakness or strength, confidence or self-pity, smart or dumb, centered or out-of-balance, analytical or creative, courageous or fearful, relaxed or tense, feeling big or small, proud or defeated, loose or tight, frustrated or having fun?

To improve your performance, send only positive body language messages to your brain.

 

Play "In the Zone" with Joan

Entrain Your Heart, Mind & Body for Peak Performances

 

© PMI 2014 - All Rights Reserved

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did you miss the previous newsletter?
Read it on the Archived Newsletters page www.pmi4.com
New newsletters are posted every month.

purchase



Positive Mental Imagery
128 Forest View Drive
Flat Rock, NC 28731
Phone: 828.696.2547
Email: pmi4@bellsouth.net